Pink Julep in the Cinema: The Runaways

I rented The Runaways as soon as our Blockbuster put it on the shelf! I must say, I'm a sucker for a Rock and Roll biopic! I must say, this one is great and on the level of some of my favorites, including Sid & Nancy, 24 Hour Party People and Control. I really enjoyed this film, which is about Joan Jett's first all girl rockband, The Runaways. She was a young teenager when she embarked on this journey to rock and roll stardom and she became a legend! The film mostly centers around the relationship between Joan Jett, played by Kristen Stewart and Cherie Currie, played by Dakota Fanning. I swear, that Dakota Fanning is one talented 16 year old and I wanna be her when I grow up! You can never go wrong renting a flick that she's in because she picks such great films to be in! Fanning and Stewart deliver amazing performances in The Runaways! Kristen Stewart really captures the physicality of Joan Jett and surprisingly, I think she only bites her lip or sighs once or twice in the whole film! She's really good! And Dakota Fanning shocked me to death with her portrayal of a sexually active junkie, writhing around in a corset hopped up on God knows what! All in all this is a great and fun film! Good Saturday night entertainment!
My favorite scene is when Fanning's character dresses up like David Bowie for the school talent show. Amazing!

They really look like Currie and Jett! Kristen Stewart, who always looks thin, pretty and frail came off as strong and solid. I think she definitely has the makings of a good actress and we'll be seeing some great performances from her once Twilight is all done and dusted.

They actually sang some of the songs in the film. Dakota Fanning rocked Cherrybomb, a great but dirty song... GIRL POWER!

There was absolutely no evident weirdness in the sex scenes between these two. You can tell they were comfortable with each other... I suppose that would help?

I would totally recommend this film! Great fun and I can't wait to buy it on DVD! Would love to hear what you thought about it if you've seen it already!
xoxo,
Pink Julep!

0 comments:

Post a comment on: Pink Julep in the Cinema: The Runaways