Pink Julep at the Cinema: Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go is based on the book of the same name by Kazuo Ishiguro, famous for his previous book made into film The Remains of the Day.
The film is about 3 friends, Ruth, Tommy and Kathy who are introduced as children at a boarding school in rural England. It is obvious from the start that their school is not quite like other schools.
I won't ruin it for you by telling you anything about the plot except that these three children who grow to be adults played by Kiera Knightley, Andrew Garfield and Carey Mulligan, are not who you think they are and the promise of the future their education should provide is on shaky ground.
The performances in this film are great! In my eyes, Carey Mulligan can do no wrong. She is quickly becoming my newest girl crush. I went into this film thinking it would be some sort of romantic love triangle saga similar to Atonement or The Notebook. Boy was I wrong. Never Let Me Go is an extremely intelligent film that leaves the viewers asking themselves questions about their own moral standings. I was shocked by the possibilities posed in this speculative fiction work and the story left me in tears,. A truly beautiful film, Never Let Me Go addresses themes of forgiveness, love and sacrifice.
Never Let Me Go is currently playing in most London cinemas. It premiered at the Telluride Film Festival in the US and had a limited showing last Fall. As far as I can tell, it's not playing in the US currently, so for those of you who live in the States, I urge you to add this film to your Netflix cue. You won't be sorry. It's beautiful and thought-provoking, not to mention one of the most interesting films I've seen in quite some time.
post signature

0 comments:

Post a comment on: Pink Julep at the Cinema: Never Let Me Go