Pink Julep at the Cinema: The Social Network

Yes, I know, until last weekend, I think I was the only person on the planet who hadn't seen The Social Network. Now I'm thinking I might be the only person on the planet who didn't like it.
In fairness, I live with a a semi-nerd who has read the book The Accidental Billionaires on which the film was based and I kind of felt like we'd already heard this story over and over and over again. But besides that, with all the fast nerd-speak and the html code at the beginning of the film, I was bored within 5 minutes. But I kept watching...
And I was still bored. There are many things about this film that bugged me, but one thing I will brag about are the performances by Andrew Garfield and Jesse Eisenberg. They were excellent! Otherwise, I pretty much give this film a fail. I know that Zuckerberg is the youngest billionaire in the world and I'm supposed to care a lot about that, but I think he was in the right place at the right time with the right idea and the best possible background (did you know he was tutored in programming as a child according to wikipedia?) to execute it. I won't go so far as to say whether or not I think he may have stolen someone else's idea because to be honest, I don't care... if those twins thought their idea was worth millions, why didn't they have Daddy's lawyers draw up non-compete clauses or something? Anyway, I just think there are more interesting stories out there.
Did you see the film? What did you think?

post signature

0 comments:

Post a comment on: Pink Julep at the Cinema: The Social Network